No More a Blogging Child

She is gone...gone, gone.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Judo Run Down: Falling and Techniques

Make sure that you've read formor post below (The Judo Run down: Warm up) before you read this one.


The first one was one that we (Sara and I) had been introduced to only last week, but which I was told by one of the Sensei, I was doing quite well on. If that sounds like boasting (which it isn’t meant to be), just keep reading and you’ll see some extremely pride bashing things that I did.
Fall # 2. In this fall you stand with your legs spread apart like a partial splits; arms up so that your elbows are even with the middle of your ribcage and your palms are a few inches in front of, and to the side of your face, while being in a straight line with your elbow. You then let yourself fall straight forward landing on your ‘elbow to palm’ (not just your elbow) and ‘ball of your feet forward’, making sure that you turn your face to the left so it doesn’t get squashed.

The mechanics down, the first time I did it I jutted my stomach out so far that it alone hit the ground, much to the amusement of my parents and a Sensei. The second time the knees and elbows fell victim to my clumsiness, but the third time I got everything right except that I forgot to turn my head. Oh well, I would rather see straight on the floor rushing up to meet the space four inches from my face then see it out of my peripheral vision.

After various falls we went on to the two line stand off, where we practice individual moves with a partner, twenty times each, and then rotate to another person until we reach the end of the line and its our turn to count. O-soto-gari, O-goshi, and O-uchi-gari were the three main techniques that Sara and I were working on, so every time we moved to a more advanced partner, who was everybody but Ethan, we had to explain what we were working on while trying not to forget what they were called. There were the times when you thought they said the right technique and then realized in the middle of it that it was totally a different one. We eventually go through it and had a lot of fun with it.....Then came Randori, which is free practice.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Rebekah said…

    And as we have read, Sara had a perfectly lovely time in Randori! =)

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger La*Oriente said…

    I didn't have so hot of a time in Randori, which will be detailed in my next forthcoming post.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/osotogari.htm

    http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ogoshi.htm

    http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ouchigari.htm

    If this is what you are doing it looks rather fearsome!
    I think that is really awesome that they teach you how to fall. That is something I have always thought should be taught, but I never knew there was a way to do it. Some people seem to naturally fall right (which I'm blessed to be among) and then there are those who always seem to fall wrong. I've always thought that is was something that could be learned (and doing soccer and gymnastics I think taught me) but I didn't know how to just teach falling.
    Anyway, please keep posting, it is fascinating learning about Judo through your experiences. You two are pretty brave to go to this thing! Keep it up!

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger La*Oriente said…

    Sorry not in Randori, but a thing that we did before that. I can't remember its name though :]

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger La*Oriente said…

    We have enjoyed it alot so far, so their shouldn't be a chance of us chickening out, at least I hope not... My leg is still trying to recover, before seven o'clock tonight, from a to exuberent throw by the youngest Sensei, which gave me a limp until a couple hours ago.

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Kristi said…

    You girls are VERY VERY brave and amazing! Wow. I would like to think that I would last...but in truth, I wouldn't. :(
    I'm able to defend myself against aggressive bed-bound patients in the hospital, but that's about it.
    :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home