No More a Blogging Child

She is gone...gone, gone.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Longings

Sooo down... sooo down. It was a phrase that was very common in the old days (very old days) between me cousin, sister and myself. It resolved many a fight and usually reduced us to helpless fits of laughter, but for what reasons I know not. Just suffice it to say that we lived most simply back then.
Simple days equaled simple pleasures. There were the days of orphanage and promenades , and sometimes we were able to persuade Mark to join in on some of our more mature activities, like Chef on the Reimers's woodpile and GUNS. We even had our own patented and famous dishes. There was Beka's carrot-top dish, which sometimes made our mouths water (if it was close to lunch:). And then there was my master piece, the illustrious French dish made with clay and "wheat".
Those were the days of peace and eternal prosperity in the mind of a five year old. The days when being a Christian just meant that you prayed to God at night, went to church with Mom and Dad, and obeyed all the big people in all that was right.
But now I am sixteen years old and expectations of me are alittle different. And as things begin to close in and our eyes are made to open wider, life begins to hold very little pleasure. And I must confess, that at times I have wished to go back to the days of blissful childhood.
Oh well.. a tear and a sigh for the days gone by.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:29 AM, Blogger Mark said…

    Wow...

    It's been a while since I've seen my stash of "guns." It's all coming back to me now though.

    Life need not lose it's luster and brilliance for want of a childish outlook. I can remember the days I couldn't imagine finding anything close to the joy in growing up that a carefree childhood used to hold. The other day, though, I came to a startling conclusion in ragard's to my life: I'm happy.

    My reasons are simple. No matter how busy and insane I find my schedule, I can regain the greater portion of a child-"like" joy in trusting in God's provision, no matter how small the need.

    This school year has been especially wonderful for learning this lesson.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Rebekah said…

    Ahhh, Jenna--delightful remeniscences (sp?). But do you remember being 13 and wishing the exact same thing? I sure do. It will always be that way. Every year we wish for the last one. But I found that I've got to live now, in this world today in order to retain my sanity. Remember, this is the day that the Lord has made--we WILL rejoice and be glad in it!!!

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger La*Oriente said…

    Strangely enough I don't wish for the last year as I go on to the next one, just for the general days of childhood. Even so, I more often daydream about the future then get caught in the past. All of that said, I am very content where I am in the here and now.

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Joshua said…

    How very nostalgic...
    I've found that some of the wonderful memories of the past actually didn't happen quite as I recall. So while I recall the many pleasures I seem to mentally forget (as opposed to physically forgetting? I suppose mentally was unnecessary) the hard times. For instance a few months after we moved here I felt homesick for my friends in Idaho - but then when my complaining and moaning became a bit too heavy my parents reminded me of some of the things that weren't so 'snazzy' about ID. I suppose 'The grass is always greener...' Seize Today!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home